When it comes to getting healthy, beautiful and youthful-looking skin, it’s vital that you know the FACTS — and steer clear of the MYTHS that are floating around on the web (and might also be circulating among your family members and friends!).
10 Facts About Healthy Skin Management
To help you safely head on the path to healthy, beautiful and youthful-looking skin now and for many years to come, here are 10 key facts to keep in mind:
1.You need to have a regular skincare routine. Paying attention to your skin when you have the time simply isn’t going to work. It must be a daily commitment if you want the benefits of amazing skin.
2.Skin care at night is different than skin care in the morning. Night is when you want to repair and moisturize your skin. Morning is when you want to protect your skin from the factors that will attack it throughout the day, such as UV rays (discussed further in tip #8) and pollutants. The Guardian newspaper states that “air pollution is prematurely ageing the faces of city dwellers by accelerating wrinkles and age spots, according to emerging scientific research.”
3.The optimal skin care routine starts with knowing your specific skin type:
- Normal skin (balanced, clear and not sensitive).
- Combination skin (oily in some areas and dry in others).
- Dry skin (rough, scaly or flaky).
- Sensitive skin (likely to feel itchy, sting or burn after using makeup or other products).
4.Applying your skin care products in the proper order ensures that your skin receives the full benefits of each product:
- Cleanser (gently removes makeup, environmental pollutants, dirt, oil build-up and other factors, and unclogs pores).
- Toner (balances and prepares your skin to benefit for serum and moisturizer).
- Serums (replaces and adds essential vitamins for healthy skin).
- Moisturizer (hydrates, softens and protects your skin).
5.With respect to serums (third in the routine), various products have different active ingredients. Here are some tips:
- Serums with hyaluronic acid are designed to seal in hydration and strengthen the barrier function to avoid moisture loss.
- Serums with vitamin C brightens the skin, and with continued use can minimize dark spots.
- Serums with retinol, vitamin B3 and peptides stimulate the production of collagen and elastin. As noted by The Cleveland Clinic, collagen and elastin are responsible for warding off wrinkles and fine lines.
- Serums with colloidal sulfur and niacinamide reduce redness and irritation, and the antimicrobial properties are especially helpful if you have acne.
6.Always use a gentle cleanser that doesn’t have alcohol or fragrances, and rinse with warm (not hot!) water. Then, gently pat your skin dry. If you have oily skin, then using an oil-free foaming cleanser is advised.
7.Exfoliate at least once or twice a week — but no more than that, as you can damage your vulnerable and delicate epidermis (top layer of your skin). Ensure that your exfoliator product doesn’t contain abrasive ingredients.
8.Sun exposure is one of the biggest environmental triggers of aging skin. And remember: UV rays can still penetrate your skin even when it’s not sunny outside. As noted by the America Cancer Society, UV rays reach the ground all year — even on cloudy or hazy days.
9.Eye creams are specially designed for the ultra-delicate skin around your eyes, which is why they are richer than most moisturizers. Gently dab the cream around your eyes vs. rub it in, which could cause wrinkles (and it also might lead to the product getting in your eye, which can cause irritation).
10.Gracieux products are meant to work together. When done in the proper sequence, they are powerful combination for creating healthy, beautiful and youthful-looking skin!